SmartCollect is a one stop shop specialising in all aspects of the recovery process including:
- Debtor Searches (Individuals and Businesses/Companies)
- Field Calls (Attendance the Debtor’s Address)
- Letters of Demand
- Telephone Demands
- Payment Plan Implementation and Management
Complete the online form here to reach us with your debt recovery information.
Our collectors are all legally trained, associated with our affiliate company WBH Legal and come equipped with both legal knowledge and experience. You therefore benefit from our collectors having legally trained skill sets without having to pay legal fees!
In the event that your matter reaches a point where you need a civil claim issued and heard before the court, we would then, on your instructions, engage WBH Legal to act on your behalf.
The transition from SmartCollect to WBH Legal is seamless in that you only have the one person managing both the collection and legal process for you.
WBH Legal’s Fees are charged in accordance with the relevant prescribed court scales and are added to the amount of debt to be paid by the debtor.
Frequently provided legal services specific to debt recovery include:
- Issue of Minor Civil Action claim
- Issue of General Civil Action claim
- Registration of Judgment
- Issue of Investigation Summon
- Issue of Examination Summons
- Issue of Warrants of Sales
- Issue of Warrants of Arrest against debtors
- Issue of Bankruptcy Proceedings
- Issue of Statutory Demands
- Issue of Winding Up Proceedings
Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR) Registrations
The Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR) is a national online register that allows security interests in personal property to be registered and searched in accordance with the Australian Personal Property Securities Act 2009 (Cth).
SmartCollect, upon your instructions, will register a notice on the PPSR of your rights over a debtor’s personal property thereby securing the debt.
Registration of security interests over a debtor’s personal property protects you in the event that the customer becomes insolvent and preserves your priority position against other lenders or suppliers.
Personal property is any property that is not land, buildings or fixtures including:
- motor vehicles, boats or aircraft
- crops, cattle and other livestock
- stock in trade, artworks and equipment
- other goods, new or second-hand, whether owned by businesses or individuals
- intangible property, such as patents, copyright, commercial (not government-issued) licences, debts and bank accounts
- financial property such as shares, cash or cheques.
Credit Reporting Body Notifications
Bad debts may be notified to a Credit Reporting Body (CRB) whose function is to collect, hold and distribute data relating to a borrower's credit history which forms a borrower’s credit report.
There are three main CRBs operating in Australia:
- Experian; and
A credit report is a detailed record of a borrower’s arrears brought up to date, defaults on accounts and other infringements, credit applications, debt agreements, credit liability information, repayment history and other behaviours.
Financial stability plays a huge part in determining whether or not a borrower is approved for a loan or credit card as lenders typically use a borrower’s credit report to determine this.
A credit default recorded remains on a borrower’s credit report for 5 years. If the debt is paid, the record stays but the credit report will be updated to show that the payments have been made.
If a borrower applies for credit down the track, the application may be rejected on the basis that there is a default listed on the credit report.
SmartCollect, upon your instructions, will notify CRBs of your bad debt and request that it be recorded on the debtor’s credit report.